Bike along one of the most beautiful sections of the GAP-Great Allegheny Passage. Cruise into the sweeping horseshoe bend, Helmstetter’s Curve and Kayak 4 miles down the Potomac from the North Branch.
- Most Popular!
Track and Yak
Railbike + Kayak fun!
- The tour departs from Frostburg at 9:00 a.m., please arrive by 8:40 a.m. to check-in
- Lifejackets will be provided
- Single or tandem kayaks are available as well as tubes
- We reserve the right to cancel or postpone the trip if the water level is not safe
- The rail bike portion will be two hours, the river section is up to you. some may paddle a lot and can do the 4 miles in just over an hour, some may relax and float and take two – three hours. Please arrive at the take-out no later than 5:00 to catch the last shuttle.
- Shuttle bus back to Frostburg Depot.
- Tandem Rail Bike Seats 2 People · after you select your railbike, select the number of kayaks for your group
- Quad Rail Bike Seats 4 People · after you select your railbike, select the number of kayaks for your group
Enjoy the beauty of The Allegheny Mountains of Maryland Riding a Rail Bike and then Kayaking Down the River!
We will depart Frostburg at 9:00 am, (please arrive by 8:30 a.m. to check in, use the restroom, pack snacks, etc.) The rail bike tour will consist of 15 miles, mostly all downhill to Cumberland Station. We will take one small break, however, no bathrooms are available till we reach our destination.
Once we reach Canal Place Cumberland Station, typically by 11:15 a.m., you’re free to check out the sites and grab lunch on your own. We suggest The Crabby Pig, Queen City Creamery, Baltimore Street Grille, Uncle Jacks, and Cafe Mark, which are all within a few minutes walk. Our shuttle bus will arrive outside of the Canal Place Visitors Center by 12:30 p.m. Feel free to load any small coolers or bags onto shuttle when you arrive in Frostburg, Maryland in the morning and they will be secure on the shuttle. The shuttle will depart Canal Place by 12:40 p.m. and head to the kayak launch. Expect to be on the water by 1:00 p.m. and on your way!
The North Branch of the Potomac is a great river to float. Clearwater is mostly flat with the occasional ripple to keep things exciting. At our launch point, you will notice an abandoned train trestle going over the river and straight into a tunnel, there will be an identical bridge at the take-out point four miles downstream. The shuttle bus will arrive at the takeout point every half hour for your return to Frostburg, Maryland.
Frostburg Depot 19 Depot St Frostburg, MD 21532
- 4 years old minimum
- Children under 12 will need to wear PFD at all times and will be placed in a tandem kayak with a parent
- Railbike Excursion
- Shuttle to kayak launch
- Kayak or tube rental
- Return shuttle
Lunch, we encourage you to grab lunch on your own in between railbike excursions and kayak trip
2 to 3 tour guides on the railbike trip, the river is self-guided. We will launch your kayaks and meet you at the takeout.